Clip in hair extensions is great at adding length and thickness to your hair. However, when you invest in clip in hair extensions, over time if you want to ensure that you maintain their longevity, and keep them looking fresh and smooth for as long as possible then washing them is one of the best ways to do it
In this article, Jenhair will introduce you to how to wash clip in hair extensions in the most detail for first-time users as well as for anyone who has not really washed their hair extensions properly.
Why we should wash clip in hair extensions
When using clip in hair extensions, you might think it’s perfectly fine to style the clip in extensions and wear them out, just take them off and carefully store them for the next wear. But the reality is not so, you need to treat your extensions just like your real hair. This means that it is necessary to wash and maintain them to keep them fresh.
- Washing clip in hair extensions will keep your hair extensions soft and smooth: Although you don’t need to wash your hair every time you install clip in hair extensions, it’s best to wash your hair when you feel them starting to tangle or when you realize them begin to lose the softness and buoyancy. Excessive accumulation of sweat, dirt, hairspray, etc., which is not washed off causes dryness, tangles and stickiness. But washing your hair too much can have the side effect of drying out your hair, so clip in hair extensions will look their best if washed occasionally and do in right way.
- Washing clip in hair extensions will help the extensions last longer: If you do not wash clip in hair extensions, for a long time it can cause breaking and hair loss both the extensions and the real hair.
Because of the above reasons, washing clip in hair extensions is an extremely necessary thing for those who are using this type of hair extensions
Preparation before washing clip in hair extensions
Here is a list of things you need before washing clip in hair extensions to make the process effective and fastest
- Shampoo: Shampoo for hair extensions must be a good quality shampoo that moisturizes your hair, and keeps your hair soft and smooth.
- Conditioner: Only use a good quality conditioner that is gentle on the ends of your hair (no need for the hair root).
- Moroccan oil or serum to apply to the hair to moisturize after washing
- Comb: Use a wide comb and never use a comb that is too hard to avoid damaging the clip in hair extensions
- Hair dryer: After washing, your hair extensions need to be dried thoroughly especially the roots, make sure you have an effective, good-quality hair dryer.
Note: Before washing, you should comb your hair (starting at the ends) with a comb and remove any tangles.
Detail guides on how to wash clip in hair extensions
Step 1: Separate your extensions
Before using any shampoo or conditioner on your clip-in extensions, start by separating your extensions and combing them one at a time to ensure they are not knotted, tangled, and broken.
Gently remove tangles using a brush starting at the ends, all the way to the weft area.
Step 2: Use shampoo, conditioner, oil, or serum
Once your extensions are tangle-free, it’s time to wash them out but whatever you do, don’t rub them with strong friction to try to clean them. Instead, dip them in a tub filled with warm water.
After soaking, use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner that is safe for extensions. Use an adequate amount of shampoo and begin to gently wash your hair from root to tip
Next, apply a generous amount of serum or oil then massage. Gently apply it from top to bottom and then comb through with a wide tooth comb starting at the ends and combing all the way to the weft.
Then, rinse with cool water and gently squeeze excess water from top to bottom.
Step 3: Let them dry naturally, or use hair dryer
To allow them to dry naturally, place your extensions on a large towel, roll them up completely and squeeze out any remaining water. Doing so will keep the hair texture intact while speeding up the drying process.
Once all excess water has been removed, hang your clip in hair extensions to dry. If you want to dry them faster, you can use a dryer and dry them on low heat. Step 3:
Step 4: Style as usual
Once your extensions are dry, you can proceed to style them as usual. But wait to use them until they are completely dry, including the clips (in case you get them wet).
- The important thing to remember when washing clip in hair extensions is to minimize friction.
- You don’t have to wash your extension between each use. Instead, consider using dry shampoo. Just try to find one that isn’t formulated with alcohol, since alcohol can be extremely drying for your hair extensions
By getting into the habit of washing clip in hair extensions properly and following the simple tips above, your hair extensions can last longer (If you wonder how long clip in extensions last, kindly read this article on how long do hair extensions last), and stay beautiful and smooth. Hope this article by Jenhair on how to wash clip in hair extensions has helped you learn exactly about washing your hair at home.
If you have any questions about clip in hair extensions in particular as well as hair extensions in general, please leave a comment below. Don’t forget to follow us on social networks to get the latest news.