Nobody wants to have their wig slip or fall off unexpectedly, especially in public! Therefore, how to secure your wig properly to avoid any embarrassing mishaps throughout the day is really crucial.
In this article, Jen Hair will guide you with detailed instructions on how to secure a wig so that you can go about your day without any worries. Don’t let the fear of an unsecured wig hold you back from trying a new style – take the steps to secure your wig and enjoy your day with confidence!
How to secure a wig?
In fact, there are many different ways to secure your wig so that it can properly fit in your head. From the below information, we will provide you with the two most common methods: securing a wig by using bobby pins and by non-glue ways.
1. How to secure a wig with bobby pins?
Bobby pins are a simple and effective tool for securing a wig in place, and they’re a popular result when searching for “how to secure a wig”. Now, let’s continue with step-by-step instructions on using bobby pins to secure your wig comfortably and confidently.
Step 1: Prepare your hair
Before securing your wig with bobby pins, you should prepare your hair by flattening it against your head. If you have long hair, it’s best to braid it or twist it into a low bun to reduce bulkiness. If your hair is short, you can simply comb it flat against your head.
Step 2: Put on your wig cap
The next step from the guide “how to secure a wig” is to put it on your wig cap. Make sure it covers all of your hair and is snug but not too tight. A tight wig cap can cause discomfort and headaches.
Place the wig on your head and adjust it until it sits comfortably and looks natural. Make sure it’s aligned with your natural hairline and that the ear tabs are in the right position.
Step 3: Pin the wig in place
Starting from the front of the wig, take a bobby pin and insert it into the wig and through the wig cap, then anchor it into your own hair. Repeat this process every few inches along the hairline until you reach the back of your head.
Step 4: Secure the sides and back
After the front is secure, move to the sides and back of the wig. We suggest you take a section of hair from the wig and twist it slightly, then insert a bobby pin into the twist and anchor it into your own hair. Then you do the same with both sides and at the back until the wig feels secure and comfortable.
Step 5: Adjust and check for comfort
Finally, adjust the wig as needed to ensure it looks natural and feels comfortable. Check for any loose spots and secure them with additional bobby pins if necessary. When you’re finished, give your head a gentle shake to make sure the wig stays in place.
2. How to secure a wig without glue?
For those who prefer not to use glue, there are numerous alternative methods on how to secure a wig, such as using wig clips, sewing combs or opting for a wig grip or cap to keep the wig in place. In this part, we will explore the two glue-free options in detail, which use a grip band and a wig tape.
Method 1: Using a grip band
To secure a wig with a wig grip band, follow these steps:
- Put on the wig grip band like a headband, positioning it around your hairline.
- Make sure the band is snug but not too tight. It should be comfortable to wear and not cause any discomfort.
- Place the wig on top of the wig grip band, positioning it correctly on your head.
- Adjust the wig until it sits securely on your head, making sure it covers the wig grip band completely.
- Use your fingers to smooth out any bumps or creases in the wig, ensuring that it looks natural and realistic.
Method 2: Using a wig tape
Here is how to secure a wig with a wig tape:
- Before applying the tape, clean your forehead, neck or any area where the tape will be applied with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils or dirt that could affect the tape’s adhesion.
- Cut the wig tape into the desired length and shape, depending on where you want to apply it. Some people prefer to cut the tape into small strips, while others prefer longer strips.
- Peel the backing off the tape and apply it to your skin. Be sure to apply the tape to the hairline of your wig and press it down firmly to make sure it sticks.
- Carefully place the wig onto your head. Press down on the wig to ensure that it adheres well to the tape.
- Once the wig is in place, adjust it to your desired position. You can use a comb or brush to style the wig as desired.
And that’s it! With these steps, you should be able to confidently and securely wear your wig with bobby pins.
1. Why is my wig pulling out?
Here are some possible reasons why your wig might be pulling out:
- The wig cap is too tight, causing it to tug on your hair and scalp.
- The wig is not properly secured, either through wig tape, glue, or clips.
- Certain hairstyles or movements, such as wearing a ponytail or engaging in physical activities, can cause the wig to pull.
- Improper care or styling of the wig, such as using products that damage the fibers or pulling too hard when brushing or combing.
Hence, learning how to secure a wig can be your lifesaver if you use your wig on a daily basis.
2. How do I keep my wig from slipping?
To prevent your wig from slipping, there are several steps you can take. Firstly, ensure that you’re using the correct size wig cap. If it’s too small, it can cause the wig to shift around. Secondly, you can use wig tape or wig glue to secure the wig to your scalp. You can apply wig tape around the perimeter of the wig cap, or use wig glue directly on your scalp.
Another option is to sew in clips or combs onto the wig cap, which can anchor the wig in place. Lastly, be mindful of your hairstyle and movements, as certain styles and activities can cause the wig to shift more easily.
3. What can I use to secure a wig?
You can use many different methods on how to secure a wig, from using wig clips, combs and wig tape to adhesive. It is crucial to select a product that matches your wig’s material and your skin type to ensure the best results. Following the manufacturer’s instructions is also essential for achieving optimal security and preventing any damage to your wig or scalp.
Securing a wig doesn’t have to be difficult. With our detailed guide on how to secure a wig above, you can keep your wig in place and feel confident wearing it.
Finally, we strive to provide our readers with the best hair-related content possible. If you found this article helpful, we would greatly appreciate it if you could share it with others who may benefit from these useful tips for wig lovers. Thank you for your support!